Final Reflection

1. Reflect on your work over the semester. What were some of the highlights, surprises and/or challenges you encountered as a researcher and a writer? Why might these experiences be important to your development as a research writer? Provide specific examples.

I think that overall this semester I became a much better writer through research and analysis. From the first unit, I was able to gain an understanding of what the writer’s project is and how to analyze it. From there I was then able to translate that into my own work especially with the unit II assignment. I found myself taking secondary sources and using them as my own to provide support for my take on the controversial topic of paying college athletes. I also was not really aware of the online library databases that were available and after the workshop with Patrick, I was able to find much better and more credible sources that I found necessary for the type of controversial topic I had. People don’t want to see that you got your sources from opinionated sources, the better articles provide the facts behind your stance, and I believe that I did that very well.

1. How do the practices for research and research writing we have been doing this semester contrast or relate to other research work you are encountering or may encounter in the future (think across contexts–school, professional or personal research and writing)? Are there practices, learning or ideas from WRT 205 that you believe may be useful in current or future research writing situations? Have you developed any new understanding about the differences among and between research writing situations? Try to be as specific as possible. Include examples.

I would have to say that the library databases was the most helpful lesson that I learned. It allowed me to gain access to so many sources that I could also potentially use in future classes. In the business school we are always writing and doing case studies that involve scholarly sources and references. It is always necessary to make sure that the information is from the most credible sources and there is not fraudulent or incorrect numbers involved. This summer I will also be working for an investment bank in which I will need to put together presentations and analysis of my own. I have learned the importance of purpose as well as Kairos and exigency and how important there are to the relevance of the topic being discussed.

1. Reflect on the topic of inquiry: Food Politics and Social/Political Controversies. How did research and writing impact your engagement, interest or understanding as you worked within this inquiry?  Provide 2 or 3 examples.

For the first unit and working with Food Politics, it allowed me to explore an avenue that I wasn’t really aware of before. I was like most consumers who believed that food was out of our control. As the unit developed, I began to realize the importance of food safety and how corrupt the food industry actually was. I began to research articles on my own and visit websites that provided information on what consumers can do to spark change in the industry and regain control of our food system. As we moved into the political controversies in unit II it was difficult to choose a stance on my topic. The debate about paying college athletes is not an easy one, but as a student-athlete myself it made it even harder. As the evidence began to pile up against the NCAA and large institutions that pointed out the amount of money that they were hauling in, and the difference between the expenses on scholarships being given out, I made my claim that college athletes should be paid. My understanding of each of the topics grew immensely throughout each unit and I feel as though I am knowledgeable about each.

1. If you could continue working on one of your pieces, which would it be, and what would you want to do? Why?

I would definitely continue working with my political controversy. I feel that I found a substantial amount of information on the topic, and was definitely able to take my stance and get my point across about why student athletes should be paid, but I would have like to explore a bit more into how it would be possible. By this I mean some methods that could be used for the distributions of stipends beyond that of a scholarship. With the limitations of the length of the article I found myself focusing more on the why aspect and less on how it would be done.

1. If you were to choose one of your pieces from this semester (Unit I, II, III) to share with someone outside our class, which piece would you choose and with whom would you share it? What reaction would you hope for or anticipate? Why?

I think I would definitely like to share my ted talk with someone. I feel that it would be most beneficial to share it with someone that is not a student-athlete already, and maybe someone that has a significant amount of power in regards to the topic. I would hope that they would understand the amount of exploitation that is occurring and they corruption and unequal treatment in college sports. People are unaware of this issue of the NCAA generating nearly $1 billion in revenue off of the college athletes’ hard work. It takes a tough individual to play division I college sports and to be able to balance the long 40 hour weeks dedicated to that sport, and keep up with the demands of being a full time student. The institutions have allowed the incentives of money and greed to take over the true people that matter in this case, the athletes themselves.