Unit 3 Reflection

Unit 3 Reflection

1. I think my title is incredible intriguing. It grabs the attention of the reader because it addresses not only sexual assault on college campuses, but it introduces the idea that college athletes are considered celebrities.
  2. The first part of the article talks briefly about how college athletes are viewed by ‘regular’ students including myself. I think, even though it may have been taboo, it was important to include my own opinion because I go to a school where both our men’s and women’s basketball teams made it to the final four of this year’s March Madness. I also briefly begin to explain a very well known sexual assault case that the media has covered for roughly three years.
  3. I offered up a rather strong idea within the first few paragraphs of my article. However, I don’t think it necessarily requires a large amount of analysis to support or evolve it.
  4. I showed organization throughout my piece by starting out broad and describing the reputation of college athletes on campuses. I then went into a rather detailed and lengthy description of a well-known sexual assault case against FSU quarterback Jameis Winston. Additionally, I used examples from as far back as 50 years ago.
  5. I think I wrote in a broad enough sense that a large portion of the general population can understand it, but I didn’t compromise it by making it too broad and making it seem like a casual issue. The sequence of which I described the athletes, actual cases, and what can be done all flowed really well together.
  6. The extensive research I did definitely showed throughout the article. I used sources like USA Today and Huffington Post, which are more secondary sources. I used a police deposition as a primary source because it was released directly from the Tallahassee Police Department. It has direct quotes from the officer that was helping with the case saying that he could have done more to help the victim, Erica.
  7. I met all of the requirements and a list of my sources is available at the bottom of my article along with hyperlinks after direct quotations.
  8. I wove the primary and secondary sources effectively throughout the piece. I was able to use a lot of information from more than half of them because they were full of it. The legitimacy of my primary source is very serious and official and it makes a good impression on the reader that I did my extensive research.
  9. I used a sense of emotion in my piece by using direct quotes and my own personal opinions about the topic. I used strong words to convey what I was feeling and I think that that showed.
  10. I only chose to use one visual because I didn’t think more than one was necessary. It’s just a silhouette of violence and I think it’s simplicity represents how simple this issue can start out as, but gets escalated with reputations and too many people being involved.
  11. I wasn’t able to be present for a lot of the peer editing sessions we had, so I went about my own editing process from different perspectives; how would a parent read this? How would a college student read this? How would an educator read this? This really helped me get into different mindsets of what a viewer wants to hear.
  12. I used them rather affectively. If I directly quoted something I put it afterwards in parentheses.
  13. Since I edited so many times, I do feel that my attention to grammar and style of the writing was taken very seriously.