Unit 3 Reflection

Brandon Wright

WRT 205

Unit 3 Reflection

1. The title focuses the reader’s attention very well as it presents a big topic that is surrounded by controversy. The lede also does a good job getting the reader engaged. The lede is a basic overview of the topic by being creative and authoritative. It also provides the reader insight into the issue at hand. However, the lede does not give away too much information, but just enough to get the reader hooked into the article.

2. The introductory section of the article does a good job inviting the reader into the paper. The intro is very straightforward and has an urgent tone to it, which helps the reader understand the importance of the issue in today’s world, not in the future or in the past. It locates the problem by providing background information and statistics within he first paragraph to show the reader how big an issue this is, while also explaining to them what should be done to fix the issue.

1. The writer does a good job offering up strong ideas. For example, in the article, one of the main arguments is where the World Cup profits go and how that is affecting FIFA. I stated that argument then supported it by showing stats of where the money went and how much of it went to each nation. The reader would have no idea that a British territory the size of Houston are receiving the same amounts of money as the United States, and if that does not upset the reader, then what will?

4.I think I did a good job in the way I presented the topic and all the facts relating to it. FIFA and corruption was a very broad subject, so I had to narrow it down to specific issues within the organization, and I felt I did a good job with that. Also, the way I presented the evidence to back up my arguments was done well. I provided stats, quotes, and pictures/graphs in order to get my points across to the reader. Having all three of those is a great way to keep the reader engaged.

1. The writer did a good job recognizing what a New York Times Magazine audience entails and how it challenges the ideas that are overgeneralized. FIFA is a massive organization and not many people know the details about its corruption scandal and investigation. Many people know that FIFA is a corrupt organization, but that’s about it. The writer does a good job going into more detail while also developing strong points and sequences that keeps the reader focused and interested.
  1. I feel that I did a tremendous job researching the controversy that is FIFA and its corruption scandal. I also did a good job persuading the audience about how urgent and badly an issue this is. I felt that the audience got a good understanding of this topic based on my article and an understanding of its importance.
  1. The writer met research expectations of this assignment. I had six secondary resources that included newspaper articles and websites. I also included five pictures/graphs in order to help illustrate my points. Plus, I used one academic journal as well, therefore meeting the research expectations.
  1. I did a good job integrating the secondary and primary sources to my text. By adding information and hyperlinks throughout my article, it gives the reader important information throughout the entire article, not just in the beginning or end. The way I spaced out the article is also a good reason how well I integrated my sources.
  1. I think I did a good job persuading the audience to consider my claims based on the sources and facts used to back up my argument. With the combination of scholarly sources, pictures, and newspapers articles, the reader has a wide variety of information that helps cement the argument. I was also very effective in my use of the rhetorical tools (ethos, logos, pathos).
  1. In order to keep the reader engaged, you have to strategically place pictures and hyperlinks throughout the article. I felt that I did a good job with this. I placed graphs and pictures at the ends of paragraphs to help back up what I wrote in said paragraph. The visuals are very helpful because it gives the readers a quick break while still learning more about the topic at hand.

1. I think I did a good job expanding from my original draft to the final product. The biggest thing my peers told me was to have a much more powerful conclusion, and I thought I did that well. Another thing was my subtopics were too condensed together and I needed to separate them better while being able to relate them all to my main argument, which I thought I was able to do better from my first draft to my final article.

1. The use of hyperlinks in the article is very effective based on what they are. Many of the hyperlinks are used from quotes said by people and used on subjects that the reader may not know much about. For example, Sepp Blatter, former FIFA President, has made numerous inappropriate statements during his tenure regarding female soccer and females in general. I touched on just a few of those statements, but the hyperlink attached to it goes to a website where you can see every inappropriate quote from Blatters time as President

1. The writer did a very nice job editing for grammar, style, and usage. The article is written very urgently because the issue needs to be fixed ASAP, and the reader needs to understand that. The writer’s attention to sentence level issues helps him establish much credibility on the issue at hand. He has a lot of facts to back up his claims, and knows the topic very well.