UNIT 3 REFLECTION

UNIT 3 REFLECTION

1. I attempted to create a very interesting and creative title by including sports, racism, and superman. As funny as that sounds, Superman is a nickname that Cam Newton (one of the subjects of my article) has been given due to a celebration that he does when he impersonates Superman. I thought that this little detail would be an eye catcher and that the reader would feel inclined to check it out.
  2. I started the article with a very intriguing quote from NPR which pretty much sums up the basis of my article and gives a little context. I included historical context, a dictionary definition, and a controversial opinion to draw in the reader.
  3. I gave my strong opinion. I used a variety of different topics to back up what I said as well as one that goes against my personal belief. I also tried to raise questions and point out that we need change. Finally I thought back on everything and summed up my final thoughts.
  4. I used historical information as well as a scientific research project from Smith College to give some context as clearly as I could. I tried to be as unique as possible by opening my article with a quote, by using an unordinary title and by using pictures too.
  5. I was fully aware that my idea is very controversial and that not everyone would agree with it so i made sure to stay true to my opinion no matter what. I tried to organize and develop my ideas as well as possible so that everyone gets the same reading experience no matter what side you’re on.
  6. I did a lot of research on all aspects of the topic to generate an opinion as well as use my morals and beliefs in life to build a firm stance. I utilized my research to get a better understanding to see all aspects of the controversy, negative and positive. I joined the debate by clearly stating my opinion and by sticking to it.
  7. I had all of the required sources, however some were used in the article and others helped myself get a more detailed historical context to insure that I really knew what I was writing about. Some of the sources excluded didn’t exactly fit the flow and structure of my article and I didn’t want some of them to take away from the article’s train of thought, therefore, confusing the reader.
  8. My primary source of Smith College was very instrumental in setting down scientific information on the topic of race and sports. My secondary information basically highlighted those theories by giving examples of the research findings  that relate and happen in the current year of 2016. For example, the study explained how white players feel as if their spots are being taken. I used secondary source articles to show how players still feel that way (used quote from Charles K. Ross about white players being the franchise players and when a player of color comes along to take that traditionally white spot, controversy sparks).  I also tried to include a devils advocate source because it’s important to show both sides of the argument.
  9. I used Logos to show that this problem is logical and that many people aren’t thinking logically, kinda like a wake up call to the reader. I think Ethos is pretty relevant because the sources that I used are respected and trustworthy plus they are accurate. For the Pathos aspect I tried to get my emotions out of the way but towards the end I kinda let myself go and used words like idiocy and used the sentence : “Stop worrying about whose playing in the games and start worrying about whether your team will have a good season or not “ as a backhanded ending. I think I was able to keep my opinion strong without really letting my emotions get the best of me.
  10. I gave a number of visuals. The first was Cam Newton looking sad( kinda speaks for itself because he’s the topic and its about racism in sports that is targeted towards him). The second was Newton hitting the dab, because the paragraph next to it was about his dancing. The next was Warren Moon talking with Newton because Moon mentored him and it was mentioned in the paragraph next to it. The trend is kind of a formula, I tried to use pictures to visualize the emotion of what I was talking about along with what I was literally talking about ( dancing,mentoring). I don’t think relying on the visuals alone could portray my article’s message correctly. They are used more as aids or support beams to visualize and give examples of that I’m talking about as i go.
  11. I wrote two drafts. I grew a lot from my first draft in a sense of more content but as well as a better structure. During peer-review and editing my first draft I noticed that I was writing in a very essay like formula so I tried to change that in my second and final drafts. I broke up paragraphs and tried to seem more casual while remaining engaging. 
  12. I didn’t use any hyperlinks. I didn’t find that they were completely necessary but I could have included them.
  13. I tried to pay close attention to language and grammar. I attempted to not repeat words but instead use variations or synonyms of the previous similar word that I was trying to use again. I also tried to utilize grammar so that I wasn’t left with huge run-on sentences.