Unit III Reflection

1. My title “How You Can Save the World” is definitely attention grabbing. I think the reader can inference that the article may have environmentalist aspects but it also appears to offer the reader action. The lede accomplishes the goal of intriguing readers as well. I was creative in utilizing the rhetorical tool of starting with a question. It is brief but it provides insight into two of the main focuses of the article.
  1. My introductory paragraph explains why the topic of the article is important and why the reader should care. By providing the current statistics and increasing danger I establish exigency. By explain the “common narrative” around global warming I contextualize why it is a controversy.
  1. I think I fairly well offer the ideas that climate change is bigger deal than you think and that we need to think about it more. I support these ideas with analysis of climate change statistics, international and domestic policy, and the media.
  1. I believe my thoughts and conjectures were very clear and organized. There was definitely evidence of style as I tried to adhere to the genre guidelines, appealing to several rhetorical strategies. There was not much historicized topics in my article, most of the information provided was collected fairly recently and the policies discussed were recently formulated.
  1. I wrote with and awareness of my audience. I envisioned and audience that was uniformed and skeptical regarding climate change. I provided specific evidence and cited particular dangers and risks instead of making generalized statements. I also organized my paper in a way that would address what I anticipate the reader’s reaction and concerns to be regarding each preceding paragraph. I often ask questions and predict what the reader’s question would be at particular moments
  1. I think the evidence I provide, the organizations and publications I cite, as well as my use of the primary text allow to speak with authority on the issue. My article definitely has credibility drawing on several various scholarly sources. I think I also take a clear and strong stance. I offer my own opinions and interpretations of political actions and then offer suggestions and solutions regarding the controversy.
  1. My article cites 10 scholarly sources and a primary source being the actual text or the Paris legislation. It also includes two visuals.

1. I utilize secondary sources such as news articles and scientific publications to provide background and context on the issue. I analyze and interpret primary sources such as the legislation in order to support my argument and stance. The quotes I incorporate either illuminate and clarify an opinion I have or cite in the article or they serve to specify and clarify scientific statement I make.
  1. The beginning of my article strongly appeals to ethos by establishing myself as knowledgeable on the topic of climate change. Citing the EPA, and the Obama administration definitely give me credibility. The shock value of the numbers of provide function to appeal to Kairos. There are a few sections that appeal to logos, for example when I address economics and clean energy alternatives. Yet, for the majority of the article I employ heavy appeals to pathos. I often speak of the dangers and health risks. Also, I utilize language such as “victims” “human existence” and phrases such as “destroy the world” which are intended to cause emotional reaction in the reader.
  1. The first visual I use is the climate change graphic. I place this near the top of the article to assist the lede and title in drawing attentions. The bright colors definitely catch the eye and the point it makes is clear and simple. It supports the opening paragraphs in establishing exigency. The second visual is the logo or emblem from the U.N. gathering in Paris. I place this near my use of the Paris agreement text. I intended this to compliment the lengthy quotes and provided credibility to my arguments as drawing from and commenting on official proceedings.
  1. Composing multiple drafts was definitely key in producing the final article. I used the first few drafts to organize how I wanted to provide information in away the was coherent and intriguing. The later drafts are where I developed my stance and worked at being persuasive.
  1. My use of hyperlinks is very strategic. I intended them not only to adhere to genre guidelines and to provide them a tool for the audience. The placement and selection of hyperlinks serves a rhetorical purpose as well. Providing hyperlinks to the EPA’s website, energy.gov and the Paris agreement full text not only adds credibility but it shows that as an author I encourage the reader to view the facts and interact with the legislation. It appeals to exigency and ethos. A large aspect of my argument is that citizens need to be more informed, by providing those particular hyperlinks I intended to help the problem instead of just identifying it.
  2.  I carefully edited for grammar, style and usage. I tried to adhere to genre guidelines not just in organization but in writer’s voice as well. In the beginning of the article I edited for and investigative journalist tone. In the latter sections I edited for shift to more editorial voice.