reflection unit 1

Unfortunately, this assignment has caused me to think about food safety more than I would care to.  And I say “unfortunately” because I would rather go on living in the bliss that was my ignorance.  I don’t want to think about the potential of arsenic in the chicken wings I wanted to order.  I don’t want to  consider getting sick at the thought of eating a medium rare burger.  I just want to order something and eat it with no regard to anything other than the potential of indigestion.  But now I am forced into an awareness that, of course, is better.  It also angers me.  The businesses that grow richer at the behest of my fears anger me.  The politicians who line their pockets for re-election with the donations made by such companies are not what are founding fathers intended.  So I have little else to do but complain.  In that respect, this was a good assignment for me.  It allowed me to get some things off my chest.  I usually write poetry when I feel I have no other recourse.  This exercise enabled me to write poetically about the topic.  And I feel better now.